A couple of the character miniatures from Splintered Light’s China Collection. Good 15mm minis for a good cause.
A post with out pictures!
Someone, anyone, please talk me out of pledging for Dark Souls currently on Kickstarter.
I do not need any more board games or miniatures.
I’ve got Conan and Black Plague still to arrive – so another big box of miniatures might actually kill me.
Yet I still need talked out of it. (Most readers of this blog will be well aware of the ‘shiny’ and ‘compulsive’ nature of this hobby of ours.)
Talk me out of it! There’s 10 days to go as I write this…
Sometimes you pick up an almost random miniature or set of miniatures for no other reason than to paint – no plan or nothing much to report. That’s what the Mini Update will be for. Mostly pictures just to record what I’ve done (for my records, not yours – why the hell would you want a record?).
I’ve made such posts before but thought I would formalise this type of post as I can see from my media library I’ve quite a few images of ‘unrelated’ paint jobs to post about at the moment.
Nuff said. The first official “Mini Update”.
These 15mm guys from Rebel Minis – clearly MiB or FBI agents or Agents from the Matrix or Gangsters from a Tarantino movie. See, just proved how flexible they are for games!
Okay. okay, not entirely spot on – or close – but I decided to paint up these fine 15mm Dark Age Early Saxon’s from Splintered Light Miniatures in the ‘style’ of the Night’s Watch from Game of Thrones.
(Imagination says they are a troop from an earlier – or later – period than depicted in the TV series – so there!)
I also decided to play around with my Silhouette cutter and make a bunch of shields.
You can see from this early test run an attempt to produce one of the Night’s Watch shields that carried their oath (far right). Didn’t work.
So I thought a simple crow image would be more effective. In the process I opted to do a few ‘alternatives’ that, if not useful for these guys, I could use at a later stage.
The planned Photo paper printed shields and auto-cutting of the Silhouette worked out pretty well. One draw back, which was anticipated, was the need to double up the shield thickness by using two shields stuck together. And the need to paint the edges and back.
An unexpected draw back was the effect of white tack on the shield fronts that I used to stick them down while painting the backs. This meant having to paint in the black afterwards again. Bother!
That aside, here is the finished unit;