Continuing with the re-balance of fantasy vs sci-fi on this blog I present to you some Rebel Minis “Sahadeen” forces. It will come as no surprise that the desert style troops would also happily fit in to a barren post apocalyptic setting as well – it is not a coincidence.
2 squads of 8 should be plenty for the types of games I like.
And all together now…Happy gaming, be it post apoc, sci-fi or whatever takes your fancy.
Looking over my more recent past posts you would think that I’d lost my love of 15mm Sci-fi. Not true. But is has taken a bit of a back seat.
So more recently I dug out a bunch of post apocalyptic “ganger” figures with a view to preparing them for a Gaslands type thing (I say Gaslands as it seems to be the Mad Max offering all are going for at the moment though they could easily be used for any similar rules set). I’ve not got a copy of said rules yet but they do seem to be doing very well and stirring up interest in this genre once again. All good.
Anyway, as I looked at these I thought they’d do equally well as Reaver-types as well (see Firefly) hence I went with a more uniformed black colouring. I resisted covering them in blood and such at this stage so that they would be good for the likes of Gaslands too and I think they work out quite well.
You know the drill. You painted up a group of minis and get them table-ready as it were but, at the time of completion, couldn’t decide on a suitable ‘detail’, the omission of which does not make the minis ‘incomplete’. Such was the case with these guys which I posted about back in August 2013. As you can see from the post images I had left the shields a plain white which was fine and suited their regimental type of colour theme. However last year I came across an image online of a bunch of dwarfs boasting what looked like (to me) Byzantine inspired shield designs and I though they looked amazing. Time to finish them off! a mere 5 years later…
Of course I cannot find the image again for reference so you’ll need to take my word for it. That aside, with a bit of simplification to the patterns (these are 15mm after all, gimme a break) but being true to the colour palettes, I think they turned out pretty well.
He was one of those minis that I picked up to paint individually whilst working on some bigger groups to relieve the monotony. There are a few excellent painted examples of this Dark Demon to see online but a few of (the awesome ones included) were way too heavy on the highlighting on the skin for my taste. I tried for a bit of a more muted (realistic?) approach. Great muti-purpose beastie.
Tribute or Rip Off? Well, I’ve no line on that really but I do like the frequent tongue-in-cheek (non-subtle) popular culture references that CMON play with when creating survivor characters for their Zombicide games. Zombicide Black Plague is no exception (I couldn’t wait to paint up the Monty Python chaps).
Last year I tackled a further batch of survivors. Still quite a few to go. A lot of competition for painting time going on though, especially with Conan in the pipeline which itself has been supplanted as the ‘focus’ by Mythic Battles Pantheon… Oh well. At least I curbed some build up of the plastic mountain by selling on Zombicide Black Plague Green Horde and Massive Darkness as soon as those KSs arrived. And then Rising Sun arrived. Oh dear.
I remain stumped with how best to approach multi-basing 15mm for Hordes of the Things (HotT) and DBA whilst still retaining individually based miniatures. A future, and no doubt longer and inconclusive, post will follow at some point on that specific subject.
However, not all game systems are quite so tight on the basing criteria. A recent foray in to Of Gods and Mortals (OGAM) by Ganesha Games is pretty flexible on both size and shape of unit bases. So a few experiments based on magnetic bases with regards to HotT led me to try something similar.
Flexible for various base sizes (infantry on washers, pennies and steel-paper based squares, cavalry on steel-paper based rectangles and tuppences or washers – i.e. all with magnetic properties).
Flexible enough that casualty removal is an option and unit sizes can vary yet still ‘look’ okay.
Strong enough magnetically that miniatures can be transported on the unit bases (which is also based with steel-paper for transporting in file boxes lined with magnetic sheets).
In the end I made two sizes. The one pictured is the larger and can accommodate around 8 cavalry or 12 or so infantry. The smaller is about half the size. Note – these are for “Open Order” troops in OGAM. I have the rectangular 60mm x 40mm (and other depths) for “Close Order” units (see Future Post regards HotT/DBA basing…).
Miniature figure collector and painter (in that order) and solo wargamer whose opponent has lost his gaming mojo
%d bloggers like this:
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.