I remain stumped with how best to approach multi-basing 15mm for Hordes of the Things (HotT) and DBA whilst still retaining individually based miniatures. A future, and no doubt longer and inconclusive, post will follow at some point on that specific subject.
However, not all game systems are quite so tight on the basing criteria. A recent foray in to Of Gods and Mortals (OGAM) by Ganesha Games is pretty flexible on both size and shape of unit bases. So a few experiments based on magnetic bases with regards to HotT led me to try something similar.
Flexible for various base sizes (infantry on washers, pennies and steel-paper based squares, cavalry on steel-paper based rectangles and tuppences or washers – i.e. all with magnetic properties).
Flexible enough that casualty removal is an option and unit sizes can vary yet still ‘look’ okay.
Strong enough magnetically that miniatures can be transported on the unit bases (which is also based with steel-paper for transporting in file boxes lined with magnetic sheets).
In the end I made two sizes. The one pictured is the larger and can accommodate around 8 cavalry or 12 or so infantry. The smaller is about half the size. Note – these are for “Open Order” troops in OGAM. I have the rectangular 60mm x 40mm (and other depths) for “Close Order” units (see Future Post regards HotT/DBA basing…).
I was struck again more recently with a similar wave of all things ‘Northern’ that struck me when I painted for and penned this earlier post. I can’t fully explain where the notion comes from exactly but on this occasion is was prompted by joining in a new SAGA campaign at the local club.
I didn’t ‘need’ any more troops per sae but is was an excuse to paint up some LotR minis I’d bought off eBay (dirt cheap), a random Wargames Foundry Viking (£1 at Claymore 2016) and a re-paint of one of my oldest miniatures from Citadel.
First up, mounted Theoden from Games Workshop’s Lord of the Rings range.
Like all in the hobby I remain a Magpie and flit from one project to the next (not necessarily having completed the first!). And some projects will simply know no end – such is my interest in things ‘Northern’. I use the term loosely and apply it such in both historical and fantasy terms. It can include Vikings, Norse Dwarves, Dark Age Saxons or anything with a furry cloak and warm gloves for that matter.
Here are a few ‘larger-scale-than-usual’ little paint jobs I’ve completed. No coherent connection between them except for the ‘Northern’ label described above.
This must be one of my favorite minis at the moment – this is a Rackham Confrontation/Cadwallon “Mercenary Officer” miniature I bought off eBay a while back now painted up. He will probably be a Captain for a Frostgrave warband (if Slaine doesn’t stand in) or a general for my little Saga force (I do not ‘care’ that he is not ‘Frankish’).
Had a great time this weekend at Carronade – Falkirk’s premier wargames show – and met up with old and new friends and made a few new ones.
I don’t recall ever posting about my ‘purchase’ stash before – it’s not something I feel strongly about – but I do enjoy reading other folks reports. So I thought I’d give it a bash as I picked up quite a mix of things.
(Imagination says they are a troop from an earlier – or later – period than depicted in the TV series – so there!)
I also decided to play around with my Silhouette cutter and make a bunch of shields.
You can see from this early test run an attempt to produce one of the Night’s Watch shields that carried their oath (far right). Didn’t work.
So I thought a simple crow image would be more effective. In the process I opted to do a few ‘alternatives’ that, if not useful for these guys, I could use at a later stage.
The planned Photo paper printed shields and auto-cutting of the Silhouette worked out pretty well. One draw back, which was anticipated, was the need to double up the shield thickness by using two shields stuck together. And the need to paint the edges and back.
An unexpected draw back was the effect of white tack on the shield fronts that I used to stick them down while painting the backs. This meant having to paint in the black afterwards again. Bother!
Miniature figure collector and painter (in that order) and solo wargamer whose opponent has lost his gaming mojo
%d bloggers like this:
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.