Sometimes you pick up an almost random miniature or set of miniatures for no other reason than to paint – no plan or nothing much to report. That’s what the Mini Update will be for. Mostly pictures just to record what I’ve done (for my records, not yours – why the hell would you want a record?).
I’ve made such posts before but thought I would formalise this type of post as I can see from my media library I’ve quite a few images of ‘unrelated’ paint jobs to post about at the moment.
Nuff said. The first official “Mini Update”.
These 15mm guys from Rebel Minis – clearly MiB or FBI agents or Agents from the Matrix or Gangsters from a Tarantino movie. See, just proved how flexible they are for games!
Quick post (for a change). Aside from Medieval, Dark Age and a smattering of Piratical or Sharpe-like Napoleonic Skirmishing, I’m not really a ‘historical’ wargamer/collector. I did however pick up a squad/platoon? of US Paras off eBay recently – 25 of them for the princely sum of £7.50.
And they were painted to what I would class an above average tabletop standard to boot. I rebased them and went to work on touching them up (stop it!). Some washes, highlight detailing and adding some insignia etc.
I’ve resisted buying some a gaming mat/battleboard for a good while. There are very fine specimens available on the market (Pworks and Deepcut spring to mind) but because I am an ‘in-active’ player I couldn’t justify the £30+ price tag on them. Plus, being into both fantasy and sci-fi I know I’d just end up ‘collecting’ a whole bunch. Up until now I’ve trundled along printing out my own boards and tiles and being ‘okay’ with the results. But there is a limit to what you can achieve with an A4 colour inkjet, graphic designer or not.
I’ve been humming and hawing over getting some custom mats printed up for some time. I gathered a few quotes from printers and done a bit of online research. But I faltered. Procrastinated. I simply hadn’t ‘seen’ a finished example so I couldn’t be sure of what I would be getting.
Long story short, I joined Sam and Tim the other week in Falkirk for a rare gaming outing (which was great fun btw chaps). Sam tinkers in similar areas to myself and had had a set of vinyl 2’x2′ mats printed for (Advanced) Song of Blades and Heroes. We played on one and I was suitably impressed by the print quality and material. Sam proffered the printers details (see note 1.) and a printed mat (see below). Back at home I started digging around for various artwork (see note 2.) that I’d been messing around with previously with a view to getting some mats printed myself previously. Continue reading Mat procrastination finally pays off. DIY Fantasy and Sci-fi battle mats.→
I’m not a terribly focussed terrain builder/maker as is probably evident from the end results of my tables. They tend to evolve and acquire increasing amounts of clutter over time without a great deal of consideration for consistency – I’ll mix resin, plastic, card, paper and foam core with 2d and 3d to suit.
The base for this table are 10″ square wooden panels. They were cut down from ‘left-over’ slotted panels used on wooden wine cases that I use as shelving for paints and miniature storage. They have a magnetic sheet covering and on top of that I printed out a portion of Pwork Darkburg paper terrain battlemap. Very Mordheim in flavour.
Some of the buildings and features appeared on another recent ‘Fantasy Venice’ attempt which follows a similar theme to this setup.